Laura's Vacation Blog

Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Mexico City, Week 8



This week, more than usual, was filled with tourist activity.  I want to make sure I pack it all in before I leave Mexico City. These photos are in reverse chronological order.

I visited the town of Tepoztlán, about an hour outside of Mexico City and climbed to the top of this mountain, Tepozteco. 

Here I am, all sweaty at the top of the mountain. It is about a 1200 ft climb and it is straight up. My legs were quivering by the time I got back down to the bottom.  
There is a little pyramid on the top of Tepozteco to climb. 
Here’s a view of some of the stairs I ascended and then descended. 
I visited the botanical gardens at the Parque Chapultepec. 
On Wednesday, I visited the Basílica in La Villa. Unlike every other Catholic Church I’ve seen here, this one was built in the 20th century and is very modern.  There are several churches collocated on the property, including the old Basilica which is smaller and is sinking. Thousands flock to this church on December 12 to celebrate the Virgin of Guadalupe, whose image is framed above the Mexican flag in this photo. On the day I went, the basilica was pretty full of folks attending the mass in session. Things are going to get crazy there over the next few days leading up to December 12. This is the big holiday in Mexico.

A view from above of the old and new basilicas.
On Monday I went to the Mercado de Jamaica after class. It was so colorful and a lot less cramped than other markets. Lots of piñatas for sale here. 

The Mercado de Jamaica is also a big flower market—and the flowers are plentiful and inexpensive. I paid $1.50 for a dozen roses. 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home